Calling Bakers and Confectioners of All Ages
Nov 11, 2013
Register to enter the Durand-Hedden House 2013 Gingerbread House Competition!
Entering & Qualifying
Submit an entry form by mail: Durand-Hedden House and Garden P.O. Box 206, Maplewood, NJ 07040 or e-mail: email@example.com
Walk-in Entries welcome on Saturday, December 7 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
The competition is open to all individuals, businesses, families, food professionals or any other combinations. Please complete (1) entry form for the team that includes only the team captain’s contact information. In the case of school-based teams, the classroom teacher may be listed as the team captain.
- Any structure - real or imaginary- is eligible for entry (e.g. house, train station, castle...)
- Kit houses are permitted.
- Youth entries can have a cardboard foundation, but it must be covered with an edible product. Adult/Professional entries must be entirely edible except for the base.
- Base not to exceed 20” X 24”.
- Entry may be given a name, e.g. Pumpkin House
- Entry must have been constructed in 2013.
- Participants must register for the competition by December 5, 2013 via mail or e-mail. Entry forms may be obtained by calling Durand-Hedden House at 973-763-7712 or by downloading from www.durandhedden.org. An entry number will be assigned to each team and emailed back upon receipt of the entry form.
- Drop off for entries is Saturday, December 7, 2013 from 1-3 PM. Earlier drop off arrangements can be scheduled by calling 973-763-7712 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The entries will be on display at the Durand-Hedden House for a week and then transferred to the Hilton Branch library at 1688 Springfield Ave and remain on display there until January 10, 2014. To opt out of the Hilton display you must remove your entry from the Durand-Hedden House by 4PM on Saturday, December 14, 2013.
- Pick up of entry must be done by the 1PM closing time of the Hilton library on Saturday, January 11, 2014. Entries remaining will be discarded beginning at 1PM that day.
- Durand-Hedden House reserves the right to refuse any entry deemed inappropriate.
The following categories are open for entry in the 2013 Durand-Hedden House Gingerbread House Competition:
- Youth Category - Under 18 years of age entering as an individual, classroom, scout troop or family. Adult supervision is allowed and recommended for the Youth Category.
- Adult Category - 18 years of age and older entering as an individual, team or business.
- Professional Category- Open to professional bakers, chefs and cooking businesses.
Placing and Prizes
The Durand-Hedden House will award a trophy and the title of Grand Prize to one entry in the entire competition. All other winners will receive first or second place ribbons. In addition the following prizes for use in the Durand-Hedden Country Store will be awarded:
- Grand Prize - $50 gift certificate
- Adult Category First Place - $25 gift certificate
- Adult Category Second Place - A nostalgic cookbook
- Youth Category First Place - $25 gift certificate
- Youth Category Second Place - An age appropriate American history book
- Professional Category First Place - $25 gift certificate
- Professional Category Second Place - A nostalgic cookbook
Judging will be held on Sunday, December 8, 2013. Decisions of the judges will be final. Awards will be distributed at approximately 2:00 PM that day. Entries will be judged on four criteria:
- Overall Appearance
- Creativity of Concept
- Originality of Execution
- Technical Difficulty
Read more about: