The 3rd Annual Durand-Hedden House Gingerbread House Competition
Nov 27, 2015
The Durand-Hedden house invites bakers and confectioners of all ages – individuals, families, food professionals – to take part in its 2015 Gingerbread House Competition. Any structure – real or imaginary – is eligible. Interested in being a contestant? Enter by December 3. Winners will be revealed at the December 6 open house. Entries will be exhibited at Durand-Hedden from December 6 to 13 and then at the Hilton library branch from December 14 to January 16.
Enter the Competition!
Entering & Qualifying
The competition is open to all individuals, businesses, families, food professionals or any other combinations. Please complete one entry form for the team (include only the team captain’s contact info.) School-based teams may list the classroom teacher as the team captain.
- Any structure - real or imaginary- is eligible e.g. house, train station, castle.
- Kit houses are permitted.
- Youth entries can have a cardboard foundation, but it must be covered with an edible product. Adult/Professional entries must be entirely edible except for the base.
- Base not to exceed 20” X 24”.
- Entry may be given a name, e.g. Pumpkin House
- Entry must have been constructed in 2015.
- Participants must register for the competition by December 3, 2015 via mail or online. Entry forms may be obtained by calling Durand-Hedden House at 973-763-7712 or enter online at www.durandhedden.org.
- Drop off for entries is Saturday, December 5, 2015 from 1-3 PM. To make other arrangements call 973-763-7712 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entries will be on display at the Durand-Hedden House for a week, then transferred to the Hilton Branch library at 1688 Springfield Ave and remain on display there until Saturday, January 16, 2016. To opt out of the Hilton display you must remove your entry from the Durand-Hedden House by 4PM on Saturday, December 13, 2015.
- Pick up of entry must be done by the 1PM closing time of the Hilton library on Saturday, January 16, 2016. Entries remaining will be discarded beginning at 1PM that day.
- Durand-Hedden House reserves the right to refuse any entry deemed inappropriate.
- Youth Category - 12 years of age and younger; an individual, classroom, scout troop or family Adult supervision is allowed and recommended. All Youth entrants will receive ribbons for participation.
- Teen Category - 13-17 years of age; an individual, classroom, scout troop or family
- Adult Category - 18 years of age and older; an individual, team or business
- Professional Category - Open to professional bakers, chefs and cooking businesses
Placing and Prizes
The Durand-Hedden House will award a trophy and the title Grand Prize to one entry in the entire competition. All other winners will receive ribbons. In addition, the following prizes for the Durand-Hedden House Country Store will be awarded:
- Grand Prize - $50 gift certificate
- Adult Category First Place - $25 gift certificate
- Adult Category Second Place - A nostalgic cookbook
- Teen and Youth First Places - $25 gift certificate
- Teen and Youth Second Places - An age appropriate American history book
- Professional Category First Place - $25 gift certificate
- Professional Category Second Place - A nostalgic cookbook
Judging will be held on Sunday, December 6, 2015. Decisions of the judges will be final. Awards will be distributed at approximately 2:00 PM that day. Entries will be judged on four criteria:
- Overall Appearance
- Creativity of Concept
- Originality of Execution
- Technical Difficulty
Read more about: