Nov 14, 2003
|1861 April 1||The Township of South Orange was formed from Clinton Township and Orange Town.1|
|1863||Part of Millburn Township (known as Jefferson Village until 1860, when a railroad station was built in the center and named Maplewood Station) was added to the Township of South Orange.1|
|1869 May 4||The Village of South Orange was formed within the Township of South Orange.2 However, the Village remained part of the township school district and had no control over the township tax assessor’s determination of property values.3|
|1904 February 9||The New Jersey Legislature enacted a law authorizing a village to separate from the township which contained it.4|
|1904 March 4||The Village of South Orange separated from the Township in accordance with a Referendum March 2, 1904.2|
|1904 March 28||The New Jersey Legislature enacted a law mandating that a separated village remain a part of the school district of the township from which it separated.5|
|1922 November 7||The Township of South Orange changed its name to Maplewood (recorded in 1923).2|
1. John P. Snyder, The Story of New Jersey’s Civil Boundaries 1606-1968. (Bureau of Geology and Topography, Trenton, New Jersey, 1969), p. 131.
2. Ibid., p. 132
3. Henry W. Foster, The Evolution of the School District of South Orange and Maplewood New Jersey 1814-1927 (Geneva, New York, 1930), p. 184.
4. New Jersey Laws, Session of 1904, Chapter 2, pp. 15-16.
5. New Jersey Laws, Session of 1904, Chapter 153, pp. 287-289.
Read more about:
February 24, 2019, 1:00 PM