Tour the exhibit at the Durand-Hedden House on May 19th during our open house, 1 to 4 pm
Visit the Durand-Hedden House to learn how the Golf Island neighborhood of Maplewood, bordered by the Maplewood Country Club golf course, the Morris and Essex rail line, and the Maplewood Middle School evolved from farmland in the 19 th and early 20 th centuries to today’s cohesive suburban neighborhood. Beginning with New York druggist John W. Shedden’s 1861-1867 purchases of 30 acres around Maple Street, home lots were mapped and two “cottages” were built. Of larger consequence to the town was Shedden’s donation of one acre of land (near Lenox Avenue in the current Village) to the Morris and Essex Railroad to build a station, soon named ‘Maplewood Station’ for a notable nearby tree and maple swamp.
February 11, 2018, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Are you one of our community’s many “house-proud” residents curious about their home’s past? This February nationally known Land title expert and educator Joe Grabas will share tips on the variety of ways to research a house’s history. Techniques range from architectural and archaeological analysis, to newspapers, census and genealogical records, wills, inventories, dendrochronology, liens, obscure sources, such as tavern records, coroner’s reports, bankruptcies, etc.
November 15, 2015, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
As the City of Newark prepares to celebrate its 350th Anniversary in 2016, join us for a presentation by Elizabeth Del Tufo, President of the Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee and one of Newark’s best-known civic activists and ambassadors. As the nation's third oldest city, much of America’s history can be seen in the streets of Newark from its founding through the years of immigration and migration, industry and commerce, the unrest of the 60's to its present role as it readies to take its place as a destination city, proud of its rich history and promising future.
November 23, 2014, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Calling all house-proud Maplewood residents! Need some ideas for paint colors? This profusely illustrated talk at 2:00 p.m. by preservation consultant and Columbia University Professor Janet W. Foster provides a fascinating look at the materials and colors of historic American architecture. Learn how the paint history on this particular house provides a great starting point for examining the trends that made architecture in the past both beautiful and fashionable.
April 13, 2014, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
In this informative talk by landscaper designer Patricia Tratebas, you will get helpful landscaping tips for Maplewood homes built in the early 20th c., plus a peek at the popular garden styles, plants and ornamentation of houses of this time period.
February 23, 2014, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Most Maplewoodians catching the latest movie at their village six-plex have no idea that the theater in actuality has a long theatrical history dating back to 1927.
The extensive exhibit After The Hickories: Roosevelt Park that graced the Durand-Hedden House for most of 2012 traces the transformation of one hundred bucolic acres in the foothills of Orange Mountain from pre-Revolutionary farmland to their days as a grand 19th century country retreat to their new life as a fashionable early-20th century neighborhood still thriving today.
Walter Clinton Pettee, an artist and illustrator who had moved to Maplewood with his new wife, Alice Tanner Brown, in 1901, renovated the Old Roosevelt Barn into a house, now numbered 104 Durand, in 1909, according to real estate records of that year.
The Ackerson Company offered prospective buyers at least six pre-designed house models, as seen by these renderings from their brochure. Three were actually built on Curtiss Place and further research may uncover variants of others.
In 1862 Cornelius Van Schaick Roosevelt, uncle of Theodore Roosevelt, came out from New York and purchased the farm of Isaac Smith in the Village. It comprised about one hundred acres of land extending up the mountain from Ridgewood Road beyond Wyoming Avenue, and from Durand Road to Curtiss Place.
The executors of the C.V.S. Roosevelt Jr. estate were enmeshed in a long dispute over his will, but upon its resolution, William Howard Curtiss of Ralston Ave., South Orange purchased the grand house and its land in March 1902. It is interesting to surmise his motives.
Thomas Benton Ackerson, owner of the eponymous T. B. Ackerson Company, entered the Roosevelt Park story in 1904. A developer of houses and industrial buildings in New York City and Long Island, Ackerson crossed the Hudson to successfully take up where William H. Curtiss had failed.
The Woman’s Club of Maplewood, established in December 1916, was a product of a growing movement in America that had begun after the Civil War. Across the nation, women organized clubs to develop common interests and work together to improve their communities.
Architect Clifford C. Wendehack (1884-1948) lived in Upper Montclair, NJ, and practiced in New York City. His early architecture training was in Europe and New York and as a draftsman at the studio of Donn Barber, a New York proponent of Beaux-Arts architecture.
Edward C. Balch, who lived in Maplewood from 1890 until his death in 1934, was one of the most prominent builders of the time.
Four-squares are the “little black dress” of American residential architecture. The typical four-square house had four rooms on the first floor and four on the second, and a generally cube-like overall structure.
This is the town that architect Kenneth Whitney Dalzell helped to create between 1911 and the 1930’s, building on the local culture of simple farmhouses of the late 18th and early 19th century and incorporating both the technology and changing family needs of the early 20th century.
Your home’s original windows can be made to be as energy efficient as modern replacement windows -- with the added advantage of retaining the architectural integrity of your home.
“Lifestyle” is a concept that seems very late-20th century, but the work of Gustav Stickley, architect, furniture designer and manufacturer, publisher and social critic in the early 20th century, clearly strove to encompass and influence many aspects of life and living.
Harold Tatton practiced architecture in the first half of the 20th century and specialized in the Colonial and Tudor Revival styles which grace much of our community.
Vintage postcards allow us to step back in time 100 years ago to explore the streets, neighborhoods and buildings of our communities as they looked then.
Restoration of an old house is an ongoing process. In 2000, as Island Housewrights restoration experts worked to finish stripping the floorboards on the second floor of the Durand-Hedden House, Don DeFillo noticed some odd markings -- invisible when covered with paint -- on the ends of several boards.
The Durand-Hedden House, whose original structure was built in about 1790, sits on two acres of the original plantation that was part of a 72-acre tract of land acquired by Ebenezer Hedden before 1740.
Fleming Manor was built around 1840. In the 1870s, it was renovated in the fashionable Second Empire style with the addition of an elegant mansard roof, dormers and Italianate elements.
John Beam House was built in about 1913 by Edward Balch, one of the most important developers in turn-of-the-century Maplewood. John Beam, a realtor, was probably the first resident of the house, according to town directories going back as far as 1916.
Lewis Pierson, owner of Pierson’s Mill, built the House known as Vaux Hall in 1843. Vaux Hall and the Durand-Hedden House are the only early Maplewood houses still having a large share of land about them.
The Timothy Ball House is one of the most interesting and impressive early houses in the region, both historically and structurally. It was built in 1743 by a grandson of Edward Ball, who settled in Newark in 1666 and was a signer of the Fundamental Agreement Among the Puritans.
The Jonas Ball House was constructed in 1750 as a cooper shop, made of massive fieldstone and hand-hewn timber. It was the place where barrels and other containers were made on the plantation of Jonas Ball, one of seven surviving sons of Thomas Ball.
April 29, 2012, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
For years after his graduation from Columbia High School, speaker Steve Weintraub could not get images of the school out of his head. He wondered who had designed the building. His dogged quest for an answer led him to create an innovative web site, James Betelle -- Where Are You? The Search for a Lost Architect. In his slide talk, starting at 2:00 p.m., Mr. Weintraub will tell the story of the intriguing architect who he has helped bring back into the public eye along with his memorable buildings.
February 26, 2012, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
The tale of how young Teddy Roosevelt loved to roam his uncle Cornelius’ wooded Maplewood estate observing nature has often been told, but not the story of what happened decades later, after the property had been sold and “The Hickories” had burned.
February 13, 2011, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
How does a 21st century residential architect who admires and respects (and lives in) the domestic style of a century ago reconcile those traditional design themes with the modern desire for big windows, sleek design, a family room and a wall for the flat screen TV? John Ike, a noted architect and Maplewood resident will provide some insight into those modern-day challenges.
November 21, 2010, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Find out the untold story of this volunteer service organization whose beginnings in our community go back to the early 20th c. At the opening of their clubhouse in 1930 Mayor DeHart noted that the Woman’s Club was always at the forefront of progress in Maplewood.
February 21, 2010, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
A little over 100 years ago Maplewood resident and entrepreneur Edward C. Balch turned his attention to improving his adopted home, at that time a rural village. From about 1903 until 1921 Balch built almost two hundred houses in various styles on the streets climbing the slopes of South Mountain near his own home.
September 27, 2009, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
This nearly forgotten architect designed a vast array of houses in Maplewood between about 1916 and 1960, working for individual clients and developers. Dalzell believed in well-designed, moderately priced homes, often in Colonial, Tudor and Mediterranean styles.
February 22, 2009, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
This nearly forgotten architect designed a vast array of houses in Maplewood, working from about 1915 and 1940 for individual clients and developers. Dalzell created well-designed moderately priced homes, often in Colonial, Tudor and Italian Revival styles.
January 13, 2008, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Become a history detective: Come explore our community's own
October 21, 2007, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Paul Lewis of Two Guys from Newstead will show you how simple it is to repair your wood windows so that they once again work as they were designed. Learn how to “un-stick” your painted-shut windows, fix broken sash cords and chains, and replace broken glass. Also find out what steps you can take to make your windows more energy efficient.
Slavery in New Jersey: A Troubled History is an illustrated 40-page book that traces the evolution of slavery in New Jersey, which began with Dutch settlement in the seventeenth century and continued through the end of the Civil War.